Monday 9 May 2016

The Kindness of Family

For my 60th birthday, my wife and children organised for a secret weekend away in deepest Norfolk and festooned me with gifts, based around The List.

It was one of the most poignant moments of my life. I won't bother to list everything that was given to me but it was easily the most gifts I've ever received (and that includes childhood). Some of the gifts were lovely - a diabolo for the circus skill; the two writing pads for the sonnet; the OS map for the Hadrian's wall walk - and some of them were grotesque - the leg waxing strips, baseball cap and cowboy outfit spring to mind.

That doesn't matter. It was, quite simply, truly a moment in which the thoughtfulness of my family towards me was writ large. Strangely, though, I wasn't moved to tears, as I normally am with kindnesses. What I felt was warmth, acceptance and valuing of me. I felt both complete and humble. There was no need for tears..

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. It was a labour of love, Luce was and is very excited about it!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is rare to experience such moving moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rare to experience such moving moments in life.

    ReplyDelete